Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting - Blended E-learning
|Name||Date||Time||Location||Available Spaces||Cost||Single Enrol||Group Enrol|
The Provide an emergency first aid response in an educational and care setting course is specifically aimed at developing the knowledge and skills of educators and support staff working within an education and care setting who are required to manage and respond to first aid emergencies with children. It covers child-specific first aid management in a range of illnesses and injuries, including asthma, anaphylaxis, and resuscitation.
Students complete an E-Learning module prior to the course and complete a one-day session with practice and assessment.
HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an educational and care setting certificate is valid for three (3) years from the completion date.
(HLTAID001 Provide CPR renewal required annually).
- HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- HLTAID002 Provide Basic Emergency Life Support
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
- HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an educational and care setting
Surf Life Saving SA/NT recognises that students participating in its training courses may have special needs. These may include but are not limited to students with language‚ literacy and/or numeracy problems, or disabilities. Students with special needs should contact us prior to enrolment to discuss their needs.
Pre course E-Learning online module
1 day of face to face delivery and assessment is conducted using the following methods:
• Scenario assessment – Participants are required to demonstrate the essential skills and knowledge to respond to a range of first aid or emergency situations, including scenarios aligned with the performance criteria required for this program.
• Demonstration of Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation procedures – Participants will demonstrate Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation on SMA training manikins – adult, child and infant – in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines.
• Demonstration of various first aid techniques – Participants, individually and as a group, are required to demonstrate competency in a range of first aid techniques.
• Theory Assessment – Participants must complete the E-Learning online module an online theory assessment with a 100% pass rate required.
- Apply the principles of first aid
- Recognition and management of emergency situations
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Treatment of infection, shock, fractures, bleeding and burns
- Emergencies due to lack of oxygen, excess heat or cold
- Recognition and management of medical conditions that may need emergency care, including heart attack, stroke, asthma, diabetes, and epilepsy
- Recognition and management of anaphylaxis or asthma emergency, as well as looking at how to use asthma and anaphylaxis action plans, how to effectively use medications for these conditions
- How to conduct an anaphylaxis/asthma risk assessment for the workplace/education setting
- Management of common medical emergencies
- Treatment of poisoning including venomous bites and stings